Wednesday 9 May 2007

Of Canes, Crutches and Books

I have finally managed to reach the stage of walking with a cane. I bought it last week and started using it last Friday. It has gone pretty well and I can now even take a few steps without the cane. I am obviously still wearing the boot though.

I bought a number of books recently when Amazon had a sale; mostly political works but a novel, short story collection and photography book also. I also bought some books for my nephews/nieces.

I have been meaning to do an inventory of all the books in my library for a while but I have not gotten around to doing it. I also joined librarything.com in February but because of my mobility issues I have not been able to catalogue the books. The wireless adaptor on my laptop going dead hasn’t also helped since I can’t take the laptop to the bookshelves and be connected to the internet. Technology can be such a nuisance.

Needless to say this is what I bought:

Tragedy & Farce: How the American Media Sell Wars, Spin Elections, and Destroy Democracy By John Nichols, et al

It's the Crude, Dude: Greed, Gas, War, and the American Way By Linda Mcquaig

Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy By Noam Chomsky

And We Are Not Saved: The Elusive Quest for Racial Justice By Derrick Bell

Mad Sheep: The True Story Behind the USDA's War on a Family Farm By Linda Faillace

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals By Michael Pollan

Holy Cows And Hog Heaven: The Food Buyer's Guide To Farm Friendly Food By Joel Salatin

Mecca and Main Street: Muslim Life in America after 9/11 By Geneive Abdo

Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People By Jack G. Shaheen

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier By Ishmael Beah

George Orwell: An Age Like This 1920-1940: The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters (Collected Essays Journalism and Letters of George Orwell) By George Orwell (Author), et al

My Country Right or Left 1940-1943: The Collected Essays Journalism & Letters of George Orwell (Collected Essays Journalism and Letters of George Orwe By Sonia Orwell (Editor), et al

George Orwell: As I Please, 1943-1945: The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters (Collected Essays Journalism and Letters of George Orwell) By George Orwell (Author), et al

In Front of Your Nose, 1945-1950 (Collected Essays Journalism and Letters of George Orwell) By George Orwell (Author), et al

Face Time By Patrick De Wilde (Photographer), Laurel Hirsch (Translator)

Short Stories of Langston Hughes By Langston Hughes (Author), Akiba Sullivan Harper (Editor)

Their Eyes Were Watching God By Zora Neale Hurston

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're up and about again.

Take Care