Monday 16 July 2007

Chondromalacia

I had my post-surgical appointment with the orthopaedist today and everything is in order. He showed me the images from inside my knee of the problem and the repair job that was done. Basically the cartilage under the patella or kneecap was damaged- the image showed it looking as if it had been shredded! Chondromalacia is the term usually used to describe damage to the cartilage under the patella and it generally affects young people who engage in physical activity. I have to do physical therapy twice a week for eight weeks which should help me regain full mobility in my knee. At the moment it is quite tight and I cannot bend or stretch it out fully. I also have some pain that varies between mild discomfort and bad and which he said would take time to go away, with some days being bad and some being good! I have had a few rough nights already and I hope that is the worse it gets. He said I could go back to work next Monday, the same day I see the podiatrist and once he gives me the all clear, I will be back to work on July 23rd.

It has been six months now that I have been home! I honestly never thought I would have been away from work for so long when the MRI results in January showed a torn tendon in my foot! I am thankful to Allah that the problems with my foot and knee were diagnosed and that unlike millions of people around the globe, including right here in the richest country in the world, I have been able to receive treatment. The next step is to work on strengthening the different tendons and muscles in and around my foot and knee while avoiding over exertion. It will probably still be a while though before I can go back to the gym and resume my training programme.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad they've found and removed the cause of the pain and you are on the mend.

Wow!!! You'll be back to work on Monday. How do you feel about that? It's probably going to seem weird after so long away.

individuality1977 said...

Yep. I have mixed feelings about it. I don't particularly like my job so while I am glad to be getting out of the apartment, I am not looking forward to my office or the UN!