Tuesday 24 July 2007

First Day Back- Déjà Vu

I returned to work and went right into the midst of everything! Barbados is co-chairing some consultations and so there I was at 11 am on my first morning listening to people talk about human rights. Files piled up in my absence and there is so much to catch up on. Luckily I have been in this job just under seven years so I just need to rev the engine once or twice and I will be right on track.

I took a cab to and from work. I had planned to take the train but I managed to find myself running a bit off schedule in the morning and by the time I was ready to leave home, it was already 7:30- the trains would be packed. In the evening I didn’t feel like waiting till after 7 for the crowds to die down a bit so I hopped into a taxi. I obviously can’ be doing this all the time so I have to make sure I leave home at 7 am tomorrow morning.

July 22nd marked 20 years to the day that Naji Al-Ali, the Palestinian artist and creator of the iconic cartoon image Handhala, was shot in London. Ali spent five weeks in a coma before he died on August 30th, 1987. I had planned to write a post on Ali and Handhala but as I mentioned yesterday, I had many ideas but kept procrastinating when it came down to the actual writing and so I will just put my thoughts down sometime between now and August 30th for a post on the anniversary of his death.

No comments: